Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How Writing Ruined My Wife—Loves Gadgets MORE than Jewelry


By Kirk Melson

Gift giving hasn't always been my strong suit.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I tend to be a little on the dense side when it comes to buying presents. I have great intentions, but I could never remember what my wife wanted when it came time to buy her a gift. Think I’m lying? I blogged about one of my most spectacular boo-boos here in My Life…In Print

All kidding aside, I love giving my wife the things she loves. What man doesn’t? And I have to admit that her choice of career has made life much simpler in that department—just don’t tell her I said that!

Since I’m talking to other writing spouses, I’ll let you in on the list I’ve developed.
  • First, I’ve discovered that like all writers, the list of books she needs (wants) is literally pages long. I can never go wrong with a gift card to her favorite bookstore or website.
Chicago Manual of Style
Next, there are magazine subscriptions for writing magazines—online or in print. And I’ve recently found out there are even subscriptions available to books. She’s always got to have a current copy of the CMOS (for those out there who don’t know, that’s the Chicago Manual of Style and is something book writers need). Anyway come to find out, this book is on its millionth (or something) edition and is constantly being updated. Now instead of buying her book after book after book, I can get her a subscription to the Chicago Manual of Style. Who knew? Other books you can do that with are The Writer’s Market Guide, and the AP Style Book. 
  • And speaking of book after book after book, all writers love e-readers. I know your special writer probably started off talking about how he or she loved the feel of real books, etc. But trust me when I say, “ALL WRITERS LOVE E-READERS.”
iPad
  • Then there are those shiny little baubles we all love to give our wives. No not diamonds, I’m talking about all the newest tech gadgets, like iPads, or iPhones, or whatever the coolest gizmo of the month is. I will say they do have something in common with diamonds—they’re mighty small for the price tags they can carry!
  • Finally, beyond all the gadgets and gizmos, there are the writing retreats, conferences, and classes. These events are great for you both, and here’s why. She gets to spend uninterrupted time with others of her kind (writers). This special breed of people loves to get together and jabber at each other in a foreign language. They can go on and on about plot and character, noun and verb, past perfect and future tenses. Not certain about the foreign language part? Just attend one of these events, I have, and I didn’t understand half what was said. 
A few suggestions
would be nice!

What’s in it for you? I’ve discovered that when she comes back home, she’s happy to converse with me about normal subjects…at least for a few days.

Now I’d like to get a few pointers from you. If you were going to add to my list, what would you suggest? After all, we writing spouses have to stick together!

25 comments:

  1. Kirk, I know I'm not the non-writing spouse, but I LOVE your Wednesday posts! A great way to lift up the mid-week wearies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, every Wednesday Kirk waits to see what you'll say after his column comes up! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. So I asked my husband what he would add to the list, Kirk.
    His reply: Pens.
    Yeah, he once said I could start a ministry of Pens for for Third World Countries -- and I wouldn't have to take donations.
    Another option: Bookmarks.
    But I admit his first reply is right on the mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, that's a perfect answer! For years, when asked by friends and family what I'd like for a gift, that's always been my answer. But still, no one ever gave me a pen...until this year. For my birthday my sister gave me a beautiful pen! Thanks for getting Rob's buy in on this. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I agree with the pens. They just need to be in lots of different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the more colors the better! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Kirk, I am not a non-writing spouse, either, but...if you can find a way to give her time...you know, like, not having to cook supper for a week. Or do the wash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I need to chime in here. He's the BEST at this! He's been in charge of the laundry for years and is amazing at not pushing me to cook. He has a sixth sense of when to say, "Let's go out tonight. You need a break." Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Love the post and the comments. I don't have anything to add; I'm just happy to be a part of a fun conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, we're glad you're part of the conversation, too! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Love it! I never think to ask for books (or a gift card to B&N or amazon) as a gift but it is something I would love to receive! I might have to send my hubby a link to this post to put the bug in his ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, Kirk's thoughts are that all these writer spouses need to stick together! Thanks so much for sharing your comment, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Kirk. I am forwarding this to my husband. Birthdays, Mother's Day, and our Anniversary are all coming up. These suggestions arrived at just the right time. - Kirk, I'd add stationary and return address lables to your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vi, great addition. I love stationary, too. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Based on experience, I think Brian would give me a weekend away. He knows how much I enjoy the quietness of the mountains. Also, I think supporting me in going to Blue Ridge Mtn. Christian Writer's Conference is one of the greatest gifts he's given me the past few years.

    Love your posts, Kirk!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, your Brian is a jewel, just like Kirk. Where did we get so blessed? Thanks so much for chiming in, Love you, E

      Delete
  9. What a great post! The thing I'd add would be plenty of purse-sized notepads so she can take down ideas on the go. There have certainly been plenty of times where I've wanted to get an idea down while traveling and couldn't. And one more I'd say would be something knitting related! Like maybe a place to put all of that yarn! Love you, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jamie! You know me so well!!! Great ideas, thanks so much for chiming in. Love you, Edie

      Delete
  10. I always get a kick out of your posts Kirk. I can't decide whether I like your words or the pictures better. They're both great! The subscriptions are a great idea! I always look forward to your posts Kirk. They're a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a good sport to let me take pictures of him! Thanks so much for letting us know you like the column. Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. This is really fun, Kirk. I like the idea of gifts for the writing spouse. We have our 30th anniversary coming up in June. Now, let me see... That would be the Writing Conference Anniversary, isn't it? Yes, I think it is! I'll have to drop a hint to my husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, I got an iPad for my 30th wedding anniversary. No pressure, just sayin' LOL! But oh there are so many things a writer needs these days. Thanks for chiming in, Blessings, E

      Delete
  12. The only other suggestion I could think of is movies that have to do with whatever subject she's researching/writing about. You can never have enough visual fodder to help make the stories the best they can be. Movies of the time period, specific job, or particular place would be helpful and viewed often during the making of the book -- and hopefully a few times afterwards, too!

    Thanks for your fun post, Kirk!

    Blessings,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, such a GREAT idea! You are so right, sometimes movies really get my creative wheels spinning. Thanks so much for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  13. My suggestion would be for the two of you to take a weekend away.You each do what you want during the day (her writing and you ???) and then spend the evenings together over a great meal and good conversation. Love the column.

    ReplyDelete