Friday, February 22, 2013

Life Lessons—Notepads in the Shower


by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D

Can anyone tell me why my best thoughts come when I'm lathered in soap and shampoo? Honestly, I've butchered my legs each time my terrific idea came to mind while in the middle of a shave stroke.

Actually the answer to that question is simple, really. When we're away from all the interruptions vying for our attention and our only concern is keeping the suds out of our eyes and washing off the trail dust, our well of creativity is allowed to bubble up to the surface.


It is in the quiet pitter-patter of the water droplets on porcelain that a writer’s imagination ignites. The possibilities are endless. So why not keep note pads in the shower? I know what you're thinking, "What! Is she crazy??"  Umm... yes but this isn't about me. It's about your contribution of brilliance to the world.

Perhaps wet, slimy paper isn't the solution to your creative dilemma and I'm sure your snazzy new laptop would meet an untimely end if you took it with you behind the curtain. 

One thing you can do though is talk about it. I mean have conversations with yourself. Yes, I do mean a real live jawing session. Right out loud in the shower! Write your visions of plot twists upon the tables of your heart from your words spoken to your lonesome. Oh, do keep a pencil and paper handy so you can write your ideas down as soon as you've dripped dry.
 
The greatest inventions in history have been thought of while somebody was in the shower. Some people sing. If that's you, great! For me, I'd just be able to make a joyful noise. How ever you decide to get the message out to your listening self, make sure you do.

As you converse with yourself, your wonderful ideas will take on life. Tell you about your wonderful character ideas while you're lathering up. Take it from me, once that idea evaporates it’s unlikely you’ll get it back. Don't throw your brilliance out with the bath water. Your hopes and dreams of being an author are far too valuable to just go down the drain.

What ideas have come to mind for you when you were not busy writing? How did you make note of them? Share it here.


Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

12 comments:

  1. My best thoughts come to me during my morning swim. Talk about slimy paper. I play the scene over and over in my mind in the hopes I'll remember it when I get out of the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in great company, Ashley. John Maxwell has some of his greatest creative moments while on his morning swim. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. This is hilarious! Because I always write and teach my best lessons, and hammer out my best ideas while talking to myself in the shower...I just wasn't ready to admit it, until now.

    Another place is in the car. I travel four hours once a month to see my grandchildren. I have added a "dictaphone" type app to my smart phone, so that I can record my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confession Diane. I knew I wasn't the only one! haha The car is a GREAT place to be creative as well and you are very wise to carry that app on your phone.

      You've gotten very creative about finding ways to capture your creativity when it comes. Thanks for sharing with everyone!

      Delete
  3. Reba, I discovered this phenomena when I had small children. I reasoned that the shower was the only place I was every truly ALONE enough to string two coherant thoughts together. Now it's my morning walk where truly great ideas are born. And I've been known to send myself text messages so I won't forget them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Lori! What a GREAT idea. Texting yourself! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reba, It's so good to know I am not alone. I used to keep a wipey board in there for good measure. But yes, those moments of part insanity, and part brilliance are fleeting. I'd like to have this expanded on different tactics for the shower muse :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Laurie... maybe a series: 4 ways to capture your brilliance in the shower without breaking your neck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Beth Vogt posted that she has a pad in her shower that's made for this very reason. I paid attention because the same thing happens to me. Drenched, soapy and FULL of ideas. :) Thanks for a good post and a good laugh, Reba.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This happens to me A LOT, too. So I asked myself, "I wonder if anyone has come up with a waterproof notepad?" A quick Google search and voila! Someone has! I am not affiliated with this, I don't own one, but I thought I would post the link, in case you would like to look into it. I think I might have to get one!

    http://www.amazon.com/Aquanotes-Aqua-Notes-Waterproof-Notepad/dp/B003W09LTQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one more waterproof writing product on Amazon. It's an actual notebook (with a hanging strap!). I could see this being very handy while in the shower or taking long baths or sitting by the pool or traveling. (Ever spill your drink all over your tray table -- and whatever else was on it -- during a bumpy flight?)

      http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Notebook-for-Underwater-Notes/dp/B003NCIQCG/ref=pd_sbs_hg_3

      Delete
  9. I've found that the process of writing amazing plot changes on a steaming shower wall ... doesn't work too well. :) But yes! The shower is the best place to create a new story line!

    ReplyDelete