Friday, January 4, 2013

Life Lessons—Bad Year? Foggettabboutit!!!


by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D

Maybe you had a, well… less than stellar year in 2012. Perhaps you got sidetracked. Or, every time you burned the midnight oil typing out word count, the dog ate your home work. Poor Rover, he gets blamed for everything!


Ok. Here’s the thing. 2012 is now history. You cannot go back to those days even if you wanted to. I’m sure Edie will be writing about time travel in her science fiction novels but you and me? Nope. Can’t do it. Ain’t gonna happen.

So, now that we’ve cleared that up, please do yourself a favor… well, actually a few favors:
  • Forget it! Look, it’s long gone and, unless your blunder made international news, no one remembers. So give yourself a break and let it go.
  • Stop punishing yourself. Did you know you are an imperfect, mistake making human being by design? God made us imperfect so that we can be made perfect in Him. With imperfection comes mistakes. Idiosyncrasies. Quirks and kinks. It’s what makes us unique.
  • Move forward. The body, mind, will and emotions were created for forward motion. Don’t believe me? Try walking backwards. Doesn’t feel right, does it? Give yourself a rest and move in the direction you were naturally designed to move: forward.
  • Laugh at yourself. Yes, you read that correctly. I’ve gotten some of the heartiest, side-splitting laughs when thinking of my own foul-ups, bloops and blunders. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons God made us imperfect. We make our own medicine! 

We’re already four days into a brand new start for you. Old things have passed away. Behold! All things have become new! Embrace that. God did that for a reason. Walk away from the past and into this brand new year.

Believe in what God has planned for you this year. It is full of promise. Yeah, you’ll still make mistakes. A lot of them, but just think, you’ll have a lot more things to laugh at through the year and great stuff to abandon this time next year.

Just lighten up and have fun with the year. You’ll be glad you did.

How are you feeling about the New Year? Do you feel hopeful and excited or do you get a queasy feeling in the pit of your gut? Share it here!


Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Reba and Edie. It's full of great advice. I laughed thinking about some of the funny things I did this past year. I am quite excited about 2013 and just set a date of March 16 for a Stonecroft Ministries Speaker Training in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reba, I am totally excited about 2013!! Great words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great perspective Reba. I'm ready to head forward to new goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, so glad you can laugh at yourself. Isn't it GREAT?!

    Pat, as I pray about 2013, one word keeps popping up in my spirit: the Greek word Remuda which means "New Beginning". 2013 is going to be a very exciting year.

    Ellen, Yay! Glad to hear you are ready to move forward! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks, Reba. I needed that advice. Good riddance 2012! Hello 2013. Positive thinking and forward moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! That's what I'm talking about Ashley!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this article! It reminded me of how nervous I was at the beginning of 2012. It was the first time I had submitted a children's devotional to a publisher. I emailed the wrong submission! I had a very polite email reply asking if there was a mistake because it was nothing like what they publish. Greatly embarrassed I quickly sent a heartfelt apology and the correct submission. That was my first lesson (from the publishing world)on grace. They forgave my blunder and sent me a check with an acceptance letter several weeks later! I've learned so much this year and look forward to learning more in 2013!

    ReplyDelete