Friday, January 11, 2013

Life Lessons—A Cut Above

by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D


I know that as you sit at your computer day after day drumming up plots and word count, you might feel as though you’re not getting anywhere. You may get discouraged and even wonder if you can cut the mustard.

Well, before you hit the “delete” button and power off your laptop, consider these statistics:
  • Only 32% of people in the world have a clear and specific dream or goal.
  • Of those, only 15% of those people every start working toward living that dream.
  • And of those individuals, only 4% continue working toward their dream after the first hurtle or disappointment.
That’s staggering. That also places you in the top four percent of all the people on planet earth!

I know the publishing industry may paint a portrait that sooooooo few writers will ever see their work in print. I’m sure that’s true, but you’ve already eliminated 96% of your competition just by continuing to work at it when others have given up their dream.

That makes you a cut above the rest. Oh sure, we all daydream. I’ve flown to the moon in my spaceship more times that I can count. I’ve also been a famous country music singer (umm… one who can’t sing) and I won Wimbledon at least seven times.

But you, fellow writers, have given your dream legs, a voice and a purpose. Those are the writers who succeed. All the rest? Well, I don’t have a crystal ball but I think I can accurately predict that those individuals will never see their books in Barnes and Noble.

So the next time you sit staring at a blank screen wondering if the words will ever come, remind yourself you’re in the top four percent of all the people on the planet. Tell yourself you’re a cut above all the daydreamers. That is certain to give you inspiration and ignite your creativity.

You ARE a cut above!

How do you feel about where you are currently at living your dream? Share it here. 


Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. I love where I am right now. But I also enjoyed the journey getting here. A year before I was contracted I realized I could do nothing (other than write a good book) to get published. That it would be in God's timing. I truly believed I'd be published because I believed God called me to write and I didn't think He'd have me wasting my time sitting at a computer. So I loosened my grip, quit striving and went to work doing what He'd assigned me to do--write. It's been a fun journey ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pat, I'm so happy for you and thrilled that you were able to let go and let God. Amazing how He really makes things happen if we let him!

      Delete
  2. This is a special time in my life. My wonderful husband of 52 years and friends for longer suffers from dementia. As my world tilts, I find that the Lord Jesus gives me so many wonderful sights that I would have never seen. During this time, my first novel, "Xeno Oaks," was published and I am working on a sequel. All I am sure of in this life is that Jesus Is Lord and I belong to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that Margorie. I'm sure your life has been challenging. I'm excited that you are able to take those challenges and keep moving forward with life...embracing it and making each day count. I'm sure every page of your books has wisdom woven into its fabric. I wrote in one of my books, "True wisdom is forged on the anvil of suffering." That wisdom makes us wealthy indeed.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this encouragement, Reba. We can get too much tunnel-vision when we're in the trenches. It's reassuring to see the big picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are unbelievable statistics, Reba. I figured at least 75% of people were out there running toward their goals while I creep along. I have to say, I feel a little better right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post, Reba! I will stop berating myself for not writing as often as I "should." I will instead recognize that I'm doing well because I keep plugging away at my dream.

    ReplyDelete