Monday, October 29, 2012

Social Media Monday—Click to Tweet

Today I'm really excited to have my good friend, Susan Stilwell as guest blogger. Susan has an amazing blog, Blog Mama Susan, and is my go-to person for all things digital!


Click to Tweet
by Susan Stilwell

Have you noticed how many people are adding "Click to Tweet" in their posts? Pretty jazzy, huh? It's also pretty easy when you know what you're doing. It's a great way to increase your visibility on Twitter and can also drive traffic to your site!


Adding "Click To Tweet"

You need to open 3 tabs (or windows).
1. Sign on to Twitter, and leave that window open while you work.This will let you preview your tweet.
2. Start your new blog post. Give it a title, then click Save. This will create your permalink.
3. Go to www.clicktotweet.com

Compose Your Tweet

The box for your tweet allows 140 characters, but be as brief as possible! Write tight and be sure to include your Twitter handle.

For example, with this post I'd like my readers to tweet -->

Adding "Click to Tweet" is easy - Check it out! via @susanrstilwell #blogging

When my readers tweet that, their followers might decide to follow me on Twitter! But I also want to direct them to this post, so I need to include a link to here. Don't click Generate Link just yet! 

Leave this window open.

Link To Your Post 

Get the permalink

You need to know the "permalink" for your post, which is found in the right sidebar under "Schedule"

(If you're a Wordpress user, click "Get Shortlink" under your post title. You can shorten it further with bit.ly or paste it into the Click To Tweet box.)

See how long that is? Highlight it and copy it, but don't put it in your Click to Tweet box. It's WAY too long. But never fear --> Bit.ly is here!

Shorten your permalink

The Bit.ly site shortens your great, big, long URLs into a teeny tiny little link.
When you go to the site, scroll all the way to the bottom, unless you want to sign in with another account. (It isn't necessary)

Paste your long permalink in the box, then click Shorten.
Check it out:

Bit.ly just turned
http://blogmamasusan.blogspot.com/2012/09/add-click-to-tweet-to-your-posts.html
into
http://bit.ly/PnnurA
Pretty cool, huh? 

Click the orange Copy button.

Now go back to your "Click to Tweet" window and paste the short link into your tweet and format it to your liking.

Once it looks good, click "Generate Link"
Your text will disappear, but you'll have a URL that begins http://clicktotweet.com/ --> COPY THAT LINK!

(If you'd like to see how it'll look, click the preview link)
Insert the "Click To Tweet" Hyperlink in Your Post

To add the "Click to Tweet" link to your post, all you need to do is create a hyperlink. I usually put what I'm tweeting in a format similar to this:

Adding "Click to Tweet" is easy - Check it out! 


I want it to stand out, but not be obnoxious. I might change the font color, make it bold, center it... Try some things and see what works for you and looks natural on your blog.

Most people word the hyperlink, "Click to Tweet" but you can make it say ANYTHING. Mine says "Care to Tweet?" which is a kinder, gentler way to suggest I have something noteworthy to say (which is laughable). 

Personally, I'm dying for somebody to say something fun, like 
"Isn't this clever? Tweet me!!"

Whatever phrase you decide to use, type it in your post, highlight it, then click the LINK button in your taskbar. When the window pops up, paste the clicktotweet URL you just copied in the Web address box, then click OK.

Be sure to check the box next to "Open this link in a new window" so your reader won't be redirected to Twitter.

You're all set! It might seem cumbersome at first, but think through the process - what you're doing and why you're doing it. Don't be afraid to try something new!!


Susan Stilwell is a wife to Steve, and mom to Scott and Sarah. After that, she teaches Bible studies, writes and speaks. In her spare time, she helps friends learn to program their gadgets and fix up their blogs (BlogmamaSusan.blogspot.com)

Roanoke, VA is her home and she can be found on Twitter (@susanrstilwell) and on the web at her inspirational site, SusanStilwell.com

9 comments:

  1. Love this practical explanation--now if I only knew more about twitter, I would try it out! Actually, I think I am going to bookmark this link, check out twitter...and see what happens? Thanks for the education and the "kick in the butt" to explore twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, Kim :) Like everything else, you start small. There's a Blogmama post on how to add your tweets to the sidebar of your blog (it's easy). And be sure to let our critique group know so we can follow you!

      Delete
    2. Kim, I have several posts about Twitter. Here's the first in the series: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com/2010/08/twittering-away-your-timepart-one.html you can find links to parts 2 and 3 at the end of the post. Thanks so much for dropping by! Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  2. Susan, do you have a blog about shrinking a photo to the right size for the twitter profile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, it depends on what programs you have on your computer, and if you're using a Mac or PC. If you email me, I can walk you through the process. It's really not hard. ediegmelson@gmail.com. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this! I've been wanting to learn, but haven't attempted it yet. Maybe when i every post another blog entry I'll give it a try! Thanks Susan and Edie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD, Celeste - you're "totally tweetable" :) I'll be on the lookout!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Susan and Edie. I've seen it on your site and others, and wondered if this is something I could do. I doubt it, but I might try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Susan and Edie, great info. I thought I knew how to "Click to Tweet" until Susan set me straight. The "bitly" info was especially helpful!

    ReplyDelete