Monday, October 1, 2012

Social Media Monday—Add a Favicon to Your Blogger Blog


Adding a custom Favicon in your Blogger address is a lot easier than you might imagine. Not sure what a Favicon is? The word Favicon is an adaption of the phrase, Favorite Icon. It’s that tiny little image located to the left of your URL. In the screenshot below I have a PINK arrow pointing at mine.


Screenshot of my Favicon


You can use a PNG or JPEG file to make your favicon. I’ll take you step-by-step through the process for Blogger and the FREE version of WordPress.

Steps to Add Your Favicon
First you’ll need to create an image to use as your favicon. You can use a jpeg image, but it needs to be cropped so it is exactly square and not more than 100 kb.

If you want to use a created image, you’ll need to use Microsoft paint or a related type of software. Just remember, the actual size of the image will be about one eighth of an inch square, so use something easy to see.

After you’ve created your image, save it to your computer.

Login to your Blogger Dashboard and go to the LAYOUT tab. In the upper left side of the screen you’ll see a place to add/edit your Favicon. (See screenshot below).

Screenshot of Layout pane of my blog

Click on EDIT and upload the file. Now click SAVE, then, before you exit the layout window be sure to click SAVE ARRANGEMENT. That’s all there is to it. You may need to wait a few minutes before your Favicon shows up on the Internet, but it will appear.

Let me know how it works and if you have any questions.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

10 comments:

  1. Edie, will that work for Wordpress also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much more difficult to add a favicon to a wordpress blog. I'll try to sort it out and post that how to next Monday.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Edie! Will look forward to your next post.

      Delete
  2. Oops, just goofed and accidentally deleted a comment by Jamie Britt. She asked if she needed a favicon for her blog. The answer is no. It's just a fun addition to the web address of your site. I've had a lot of questions about how to add one, so I decided to answer with a blog post. Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Edie. The PERFECTLY SQUARE part nearly drove me insane the first time I did this. When they say 100x100, they mean EXACTLY 100x100.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, fun! I've been wanting to do this. Thanks for the step-by-step info, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips Edie! Just wanted to let everyone know...it took mine two days to show up, but it finally did! So if you set it up, be patient! The instructions are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I did mine! Thanks for the instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to try this but I'm on Wordpress. I look forward to those instructions if you sort them out, and hopefully I can do it.

    ReplyDelete