Sunday, July 22, 2012

Weekend Worship—Are You a Product of the Past or the Future?


My friends, I don’t feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead. I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done. Philippians 3:13-14

Publishing is a tough business. It’s almost impossible to write anything for public consumption without feeling like you’re throwing your heart into the lion’s den. And I don’t know about you, but I give these negative comments a lot more credibility than the positive ones. The good ones I tend to disregard with the thought that the person commenting was, “just being nice.”

With the mind-set of living on past rejections it’s possible to shrivel up and die, at least as a writer. Feeding ourselves on what’s already gone forces us to a standstill. And it comes with an entire travel trailer full of baggage. It’s easy to become overwhelmed with doubt, insecurity and an almost overwhelming urge to give up.

Instead, make the decision with me today, RIGHT NOW, to begin to live in the future, on the promises God has given you.
If you’re writing now, you know what I mean. You’ve heard that still, small voice call your name. You’ve gotten that confirmation you’ve asked for. Now it’s time to move forward, believing God truly is big enough to make it happen. He doesn’t call us out, fully formed and ready. He calls us out when we’re weak—ready for Him to equip us.

11 comments:

  1. Edie, I think you've finally found it! You've found your way into my brain! I have these feelings that you described on a constant basis. Sometimes it's almost daily. I know that God has called me to write, but when I get asked to send in a guest blog or send somebody an email with a question anytime, I almost automatically think "they were being nice, they didn't really mean what they said." But then I go back to those words that a dear friend told me- I'm a writer "because Edie Melson said so." Those were momentous words to me that day. Not many people find those words very significant, but they made a difference in my life. Love you precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's all so overwhelming and I begin to think I'll never catch up or I'll never get something done on time. But I'm standing on the promises today!

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie, I can't count the times I've had the same thought, "just being nice." Thank you for this post. I'm not alone and will depend on Him to equip me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Edie, for your profound message. Sometimes , when God has confirmed His call, I even wonder if "He's just being nice." That lie can even be used by the enemy in the realm of the Almighty. I must ever more run all thoughts and ideas through Jesus perspective. Only then can I walk in truth. Blessings, dear friend, for getting up at 4am to bring this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I have been feeling discouraged lately and have not been focussed on the promises that God has given...but that Stops Today! I have been given a few God-confirmations...so I need to quit my whining;( God is BIG enough to make it happen! Thanks for the much needed words Edie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Edie, why do we struggle so with our insecurities as writers? I feel this way the majority of the time and I hear it from my writing commrades as well. Even the best of writers seem to battle this. Could it be because it is a solitary job? The work (therefore the blame) rests totally on our shoulders, not to be shared with a team of coworkers?Perhaps it's because there's usually a long wait before receiving positive feedback. Maybe becoming active in an encouraging critique group would help. And most of all, we should follow your advice--to trust God to train and equip us for the task. I plan to take my thoughts captive and stop saying negative things about my writing. I'm thankful for your encouraging reminders, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Edie! Thanks for speaking truth. My favorite: "He doesn’t call us out, fully formed and ready. He calls us out when we’re weak—ready for Him to equip us."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think God told you to write this for me today. We need to do what he's told us to, despite any doubts. Especially when He's given us confirmation through people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you send this to my inbox daily? My husband says my number one character defect is self doubt. I'm working daily (when I remember) to shift the focus to God. I want my life consumed with faith in Him instead of my lack of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the challenge and the words of encouragement, Edie! Also for the assurance that we're not in this alone. And the reminder that it's not within our power but His.
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete