Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Writer’s Alphabet


Abundance

A is for Abundance. Write out of the overflow. Feed your soul and you'll always have the words you need to sustain your calling.
B is for Bravery. Don't shrink from the hard stuff, whether it's tough topics or just the courage to continue.
C is for Commonplace. Don't overlook the magic and beauty that surrounds you. It's the spaces between that often add depth and meaning to our words.
D is for the Details. Excellence is found in attention to every aspect of our craft.
E is for Encouragement. Use your words to encourage others along the way. Words have great power. Wield yours for good.
F is for Finite. Our time here on earth is limited, don't waste time and energy on what might occur. 
G is for Gratitude. As frustrating as this love of words can be at times, it truly is a gift. Don't ever take it for granted.
Hilarity
H is for Hilarity. Don't forget to take time to see the humor that crops up unexpectedly. Laugh at yourself, at the circumstances, and especially at those who irritate you.
I is for...well...I. Don't neglect yourself. Take care of your body, your mind, and especially your soul.
J is for Jena se' qua. Which is French for that certain, undefinable quality that makes each of us special. Never doubt how incredibly special you are!
K is for Keeping on. Don't ever quit, no matter what.
L is for Lessons Learned. Sometimes the knowledge we have comes from our own experience, but often times it's gleaned from the experiences of those around us. 
Muscles
M is for Muscles. Writing is hard work. Keep up a regular writing schedule to stay in shape and continue to grow in your craft.
N is for No. Time to write comes only when we make the choice. Saying yes to writing means saying no to something else.
O is for Only. Only you can write from your one-of-a-kind perspective. Yes,we all have shared experiences and circumstances, but those are filtered through each of us, making our voice unique.
P is for Position. Ignore those behind you or you'll grow conceited, don't envy those in front or you'll grow discouraged. Instead look within and see the possibilities.
Q is for Quantity. Learn to write a certain amount every day, whether you find yourself in the mood or not. It's this discipline that will sustain you in the tough times to come.
R is for Respect. Respect yourself for following your dream and being brave enough to say the words, "I am a writer."
Sadness
S is for Sadness. Embrace the full range of human emotions in your writing. A diet of nothing but sweetness and light cannot sustain anyone for very long.
T is for Talent and Time. Talent will get you nowhere, but time can lead you into forever.
U is for Unless. Unless you answer the call, your story may never be told.
Villain
V is for Villain. Never underestimate the power of a good villain to make a hero great—in a story and in life.
W is for What if....Two magical words that lead to an infinite world of possibilities through the pen of a writer. 
X is for, Xylophone. Sometimes you have to hit it with a hammer to make the music heard.
Y is for Yes. Take a chance on success. Make it a habit to say yes to some of the scary opportunities that come your way.
Z is for Zigzag. I've found that as a writer, the most interesting path from point A to point B is rarely in a straight line. Almost all the good stuff is found in the detours.
I encourage you to use these thoughts to alphabetize your writing life. Can you suggest some others?

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

25 comments:

  1. Thanks, Edie! Today I plan to concentrate on my initials. That should keep me focused! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, what a great idea of how to start! I think I'll borrow it. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. P is for Persistence (especially with proposals). I dislike proposals very much, but after a conference, if an editor asked you to send it to them.....DO IT:) It's not always an open door, but it may be the door God opened for you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, Persistence is always a good (or bad) word, depending on the circumstances. Thanks for adding it to the list! Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  3. One of my all-time favorite posts!!! You never cease to amaze me!! "U" is my letter of the day. Getting offline and heading to my WIP!! Thank you for always being a source of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I think something works, but I'm never quite sure until I actually hit publish and get some feedback. I appreciate you stopping by, and the Facebook shout out! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I think all of us "teachers" (especially of the primary grades!) always appreciate anything tied to the alphabet. Thanks for being creative, Edie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, thanks for stopping by! I loved putting this post together. It's the most fun I've had in a while with a blog post. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Fun post, Edie! Thanks for sharing it. I especially like "What if?" So much of fiction writing is based on that very question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Love this, Edie -- Definitely a Friday Favorite!
    I'm feeling zig-zaggy this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm feeling fairly zaggy too! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. P is my favorite and helps me to stay balanced for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Jane, P is very important for me, too. I tend to look around and think I always fall short. Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Edie. Your Writer's Alphabet is a great idea. Hmmm, how can I change this around to do something unique on MY blog???

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I'm sure you'll come up with some great ideas! Just be warned, alphabet posts are addictive. I find ideas for them everywhere and try to limit using them. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Takes me back to my days of teaching kindergarten. I loved ABC books, and I love your writer's alphabet. So many of them resonated - P can make or break whether I write. I also love the possibilities of W ... what if. And embracing S for sadness is fairly new for me, but I'm doing it and it's adding depth to my life and writing. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about ABC books. I never taught, but have always loved playing with the letters. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Edie,

    Thank you for this beautiful post! I have printed it so to have it with my writing folder. A great reminder.

    Lisa M Buske
    http://lisabuske.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. Love this, Edie! All these are so good! =]

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great, Edie! If I concentrated on only a couple a week, I know my writing progress would improve dramatically. Maybe I will do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks soo much for this post Edie! What an awesome use of your gift for words! The letter X really stood out as a reminder for me to give my all in my writing. Its only in giving my all and hitting it with my "hammer" that I am rewarded with sweet music for my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Every one is terrific and together they form a path through the writers' maze.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete