Monday, July 30, 2012

Hashtags and Hyperlinks


At first glance, these two topics may seem totally unrelated, but read further and learn how they complement each other. I’ll give you a clue, it has to do with the topic of Search Engine Optimization.

Let’s start with definitions:
A Hashtag is used with Twitter. It’s a #(number sign) followed by a group of letters or words that makes the topic searchable in the Twitter universe.

A Hyperlink (sometimes referred to as a Hotlink or simply a Link) is a group of letters or words that, when you hoover your curser over it, is clickable and opens a new window on the Internet. The first paragraph of this post has a Hyperlink, Search Engine Optimization.

Still curious how these two are linked? Here’s another clue, it has to do with the research you need to do to use each effectively.

Hashtags

It’s important to use hashtags when you tweet—but even more important to use them correctly. It’s important to avoid using more than two or three hashtags per tweet. Otherwise you run the risk of being mistaken for a sales person or a spammer. Because of this, you need to do your research and make certain you’re getting the most out of every one.

When I look for relevant hashtags, I start with the obvious and then do a little fact checking. For instance, when I started targeting military families with tweets I assumed #military would be the hashtag to use.  Fortunately I dug a little deeper. When I checked what tweets that hashtag normally brought up I found it was geared more toward those looking to date a soldier. Definitely NOT the audience I was looking for. It turned out the hashtag I needed was #militaryfamily.

Here are some of the places I research hashtags:

Hyperlinks

Here are some things you need to know about Hyperlinks.
  • Including them will raise the search engine ranking of your post and subsequently, your site.
  • It’s a way to build credibility by linking to other sites you’ve written for.
  • It’s a way to utilize previous posts and get more traffic on your own blog.
  • They can give your readers more value by linking to valuable site that your readers may not have visited. 

I want to zero in on how hyperlinks can raise our search engine ranking.

Most people don’t know that the words hyperlinked in your post are also searchable by search engines. This means you need to choose the words you link carefully because you don’t want to waste them.

Do you see the link between Hyperlinks and Hashtags now? As I said, it’s in the research. Both involve topics trending on the web. If you find a popular Hashtag, make a note of it. Then, when you have a related post, use that topic as a part of your hyperlink.

Here’s an Example:
Look again at the hyperlink in the first paragraph. I could have made the word Topic the link. It would have made sense, after all I was referring to a topic. But how often do people do a Google search for the word topic? Not very often. So I linked to a much more interesting set of words, SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION.

Also, this topic, #SEO is trending on Twitter, telling me I’ll attract new followers by using this hashtag when I tweet about my post.

This type of multitasking will help you get more mileage out of your research time and give you the added benefit of tying your blog posts directly to your Twitter updates.

Now it’s your turn, be sure to post your questions in the comment section and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

15 comments:

  1. Edie, Great tips once again! I started using hashtags.org a few months ago when you recommended it and have found it very helpful to discover appropriate tags. I have also started using links in my posts - to other useful sites as well as other posts within my own blog, and I have watched it help my traffic. Thanks so much. Keep the tips coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I'm glad to know you've been able to incorporate the info I shared. Your site is a great example of how to do things right! Thanks for stopping by - Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I know you've told us we can search hashtags, but I forgot. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always worry about reposting info, even if it's delivered in a different way. Thanks for the encouragement! I loved, loved, LOVED your blog post today! (www.bethvogt.com) Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie, all this information sounds great, but I have no idea how to include a hyperlink in my post and make it clickable. Also, is hashtags something I'd be able to do? Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime, I'm not sure but I think you have to use a mouse to do it. I'd have to be more familiar with your interface. I'll try to find out for sure. Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Great post, Edie! I used to just link to the word "here" until I heard this information. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, I did the same thing. It was one of those 'duh' moments when I read the information that it made a difference. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Great post! I'd love to see more Christian fiction authors/readers posting with the hashtag #Christfic. It's a great community of people. I also frequently use #ACFW and #mywana tags. Mywana is not Christian only, but writing related. Other writing related tags that are helpful are #pubtip and #editortips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks for sharing about the hashtags. Are you enjoying being a part of Mywana? I love Kristin's blog, but haven't had much time to explore the group. Thanks for stopping by - Blessings E

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the great post:) Lots of helpful tips here...still learning about SEO. Need to start using hashtags on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Just be sure to not let yourself get overwhelmed. My motto is "small bites." Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Edie: You're a genius. :) Thanks for the helpful info and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words and for the Twitter shout out! Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great information! I'm still not really tweeting very much, but I'll get there eventually. Each time you post I get closer and closer to actually understanding it! And the hyperlink info was great. I often hyperlink the word "here"...Go "here" to get more info. Pretty useless. I'll be more creative from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete