Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekend Worship—Embracing the Legacy

Thoughts for Mothers Day
by Edie Melson


If you notice in the picture on the left, Embracing the Legacy is the tagline on my business cards. It's right below the words writer... editor... wonderer...


I worked hard coming up with this description of who I am, and I'm pretty darn pleased with it. The idea started with the way I've described myself for years, "creative in self-defense."


You see, I grew up in an amazing family. My mother, Monita Mahoney, is an internationally known artist and my dad, Jim Mahoney, is a classical musician and well-known black-and-white photographer.


Being creative came naturally while I was growing up. Some of my earliest memories are of playing dolls under my mother's easel as she worked on paintings for a gallery, upcoming show or client. But one thing my mom didn't do was push me to express myself her way. She was one of the first to encourage me to explore my love of words. I remember one day complaining that I couldn't draw like her and I'll never forget her response. "Edie, you paint your world with words."


I was reminded of her encouragement this past week. She had a handmade book in a traveling show and I went with her to our local bookstore, BookQuest, where it was on display locally before beginning its travels. Instead of spending time with the bookstore owner talking about her own work, she couldn't quit talking about mine. 


This is the same attitude I've found in God, the first to bestow a creative legacy on me. In Him, through the parents he's given me, I've found the strength and the inspiration to follow the dream He planted in my heart. 


In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

7 comments:

  1. Oh Edie, this was a beautiful tribute to your mom. I would love to meet her and tell her what an influence you've had on my life in only a few short months. While I didn't have parents that nurrished my creative outlet, I'm blessed today to have several writers who do. I know that when I'm feeling down in my writing, or in life in general that I have a friend to call on for prayer and encouragement. So, I just want to publicly say "thank you" for all that you've done in my life. You mean so much to me and I really don't know how to put it into words of how much. So again, I'll just say "thank you Edie!" I just love you so much my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edie, your heartfelt post brought a tear. Love your beautiful story about your mom, and your own creative journey. You are, indeed, a wordsmith extraordinaire.

    You're leaving a wonderful legacy! Happy Mother's Day, friend.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I am blessed to know and love your mother, too. She is so remarkable. Her encouragement is beyond anything I have ever experienced! I know exactly how you became the wonderful woman and friend that you are, because Monita is always there saying, "You can do it."
    You can, and you do, and we are all blessed to know you, Edie! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to have a mama who encouraged you! I'm thankful for that myself :)

    Happy Mother's Day, Edie!
    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful legacy, Edie. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful story about your mom. That you recognize her investment in your talents, that you feel her encouragement and that she makes it tangible for you is such a gift.
    Thank you for sharing a lovely Mother's Day story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. It's a wonderful tribute to your mom and to who you are as well.

    ReplyDelete