Saturday, March 24, 2012

Weekend Worship—True Success


For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21
One thing I’ve noticed is that we writers are way too hard on ourselves. We’re constantly comparing ourselves to each other, looking for affirmation through someone else’s opinion about our work and even our calling.
We check to see how many views our articles get, how many followers our blogs have and how many stars the reviewer gave our latest book. These things can undermine and sometimes even totally destroy our perspective, not to mention our confidence. Because, let’s face it, there is always someone willing to point out what we did wrong or could have done better. 

If we’re not careful, we can get to the point where we treasure what others are saying about us more than what God is doing through us.
So how do we stay focused in this crazy writing world where everyone seems eager to pass judgment? I think the key to thriving is to keep focused on what and especially on WHO truly matters. I’ve found that when I treasure God’s word and His opinion, my heart stays safe and protected. I’m insulated from a worldly perspective determined to destroy anything God has called good.

11 comments:

  1. THANK you for that common sense perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edie I love the line about treasuring what people say about us more than anything else. It's such a subtle thing isn't it. Staying in the word and focused on God is the only thing that I know of that will keep us straight with this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Edie, were you talking to me today? If you weren't, you sure could've fooled me! I have a problem with this constantly-comparison with others. I know that what people say really shouldn't matter as much as what God says, but it's so easy for me to get caught in the trap of "Nan and Edie and Vonda are so much better than me." It doesn't matter that you 3 have been writing longer than me, I still find myself comparing my writing to yours and can always find things that y'all do better than I do. Thank you so much for this reminder for me not to compare. Now, let's see if I remember this later on today when I write my blog post! Love you my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post today is so timely for me in so many areas in my life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to echo Jamie's comment. I automatically for me to compare myself to other writers (like you). Now if I can just focus on God instead, and interrupt that constant inner critic that discourages me so and trust that God truly will use me in someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Edie for the reminder. Which by the way, I need every day! Why is it so difficult to rest in the "now" of what God is doing rather than stress over what we're not doing? Could it be because the enemy wants us to quit?

    Thanks for being a key component to helping us stay on this tightrope called writing.

    We love and appreciate you, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, on WHO matters! Then all things fall into right order. Thanks I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The world perpective is always in contrast to God's Word, so we do have to keep it in our hearts. Nice reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busted! Seems like I'm always trying to please others and seek their affirmation. I see other writers' successes posted on the ACFW loop and I wonder if I can ever be like them. Thanks for reminding me of the Bible verse about where my heart is and should be. My blog results post on Sunday morning - just in time to take my focus off worship. From now on, I won't look at them until Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! Cec Murphey addressed this very thing in his new book, Unleash the Writer Within.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right on, Edie. I am continuing to learn that when I write for an audience of One, my heart is at peace and rest, knowing I have pleased Him. The rest is up to Him. Praise God, we don't have to compare ourselves with others.

    ReplyDelete