Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend Worship—The Breastplate of Righteousness


Stand firm then . . . with the breastplate of righteousness in place. Ephesians 6:13
           
Many years ago I majored in costume design, and for a short time, worked as a costume designer. I love the theater, and I love being involved with productions—as long as I don’t have to be on stage. 

In college, one of the first productions I designed for was the musical production, Camelot. I’d been a fan of King Author in literature since I was a child, and working to make this production come alive for the audience was a dream come true.
           
I worked on several of King Author’s elaborate fabric costumes, but the armor came from someone else, someone specialized in that ancient craft. I found myself fascinated with the process of building and designing the armor. It involved a lot more than I expected at first. It had to protect the wearer and provide a full range of mobility. After all, a warrior who can’t fight is pretty much useless.

The righteousness of God is like that as well. His righteousness gives us strength beyond measure, but doesn’t hamper us or weigh us down. So many of the world’s religions are burdened with cumbersome rules and regulations, but our God has stood in our place and cuts directly to the need. And it’s that provision that gives us the strength and stamina to stand firm when the enemy attacks. 

What gives you the strength to stand firm when the tough times come?

2 comments:

  1. Edie, I enjoy these Weekend Worship posts, even when I don't comment on them.
    I appreciate the truth and encouragement woven through them.
    What gives me the strength to stand firm in tough times? The truth of God's Word & the promises of hope in his Word. And if I have a difficult time remembering it--the fellowship of other believers who remind me of the truth when I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simply stated, Edie, yet so clear. Thanks for bringing the truth of true freedom in the righteousness of Christ.

    ReplyDelete