Friday, August 27, 2010

Weekend Worship - Is Your Writing Caught in a Crab Bucket?

I'm excited to introduce my new friend, Susan Browning Schulz. She and I met recently and I invited her to share some of her insights with us. I know you'll be as blessed as I was!

Is Your Writing Caught in a Crab Bucket?

Crab fishermen have long known they don’t need to put a lid on their crab bucket, as long as there is more than one crab in the bucket. Some call it the Crab Bucket Syndrome. When there are several crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl out, the other crabs grab hold and pull it back down.

Some of us desire to climb above, raise our standards and improve ourselves, but Satan, and those who belong to him, act like crabs in a bucket. They do everything in their power to destroy the ambitions of those who wish to better themselves. Sadly, these grab and pull techniques often work among us humans, too.

It’s often our thought that life catches us and puts us in a bucket. Instead, we should apply the Crab Bucket Syndrome to our writing lives. What crabs are holding you back from improving your writing? These crabs come in thoughts like
  • I don’t have time to sit down and write something for critique group.
  • Do I really need someone else’s input?
  • It’s too much work to edit using all of those different comments and suggestions.
  • I will never find a place for my articles and stories, anyway.
Writers write—no matter how they feel. Don’t let these crabby, negative thoughts keep you in a bucket of mediocrity. Work on raising the standards of your writing every day, starting right now. One of the best ways to develop good writing skills is to attend a writing conference. Find one and sign up today. Hope to see you there!

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Susan


Susan Schulz is an author, speaker, and Bible teacher. She's also active in the Christian Authors Guild where she presently serves as President and critique group leader. She lives to inspire others to join her in listening to God's magnificent voice. You can visit her at her blog, The Listening heart.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the crab bucket phenomena--but I've certainly experienced it! Thanks for sharing this truth! I'm going to post the link over at MBT Ponderers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I didn't know about it either until I read Susan's devotion. Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete