Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday Reviews

This week, instead of reviewing a book on writing, I want to share my experience at a writing seminar I attending last weekend.

As I mentioned on Monday, I had the opportunity to spend last weekend in Atlanta GA, at an amazing seminar, Writing Bestselling Fiction, led by Chip MacGregor and Susan May Warren. It’s one of several seminars offered by The Master Seminars.

These seminars are the brain child of Chip MacGregor, President of MacGregor Literary. He’s teamed up with some outstanding professionals in the writing industry, including Susan May Warren, Lisa Samson, Susan Meissner, Jim Rubart and Tiffany Colter.

Practical Value
There are several things that made this particular seminar valuable to me.
  • First of all, the teacher/student ratio. Although they do accept registration in some of the seminars for up to fourteen students, the one I attended only had ten. I felt like I got to spend two full days with industry professionals advising me on my writing and career.
  • The second thing I got out of this weekend was practical writing instruction that I could immediately apply to my work. It was an intimate enough setting so that I felt very comfortable asking specific questions about my WIP (work in progress). So many of the classes and lectures I’ve attended haven’t always been that relaxed and the lessons not that easy to apply.
  • The third thing I took away was encouragement. Now, don’t get me wrong, a lot of conferences and seminars encourage writers. But very few give specific, encouraging feedback about what the writer is currently working on and the direction of his career. I got those very things from Chip and Susie.
Specific Details
The Master Seminars take place once a month at various locations. The three seminars currently being offered on a rotating basis are:
  • Marketing Your Novel
  • Writing Bestselling Fiction
  • Adding Depth to Your Fiction
I personally recommend the seminar I attended - Writing Bestselling Fiction - and if it’s any indication (and I believe it is) you should run, not walk to register for one that fits your schedule. I will definitely be registering to attend the other two that are offered. For me, this was a great investment and I will continue to reap the benefits for years to come.

So tell me, what seminars or workshops have you attended?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, Edie! I wanted to be there, but the schedule didn't work. Now I know I have to attend as soon as possible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks V, believe me, you were missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie,

    Thank you so much for your glowing endorsement of the Master Seminars. We work very hard to give writers the tools they need to take every area of their writing to the next level. Our next few sessions will take place in Nashville, Portland, Orlando, Denver and Grand Rapids. Anyone is welcome to email or call me if they have questions. I respond within a day. My contact information is on The Master Seminar's website.

    Keep writing, Edie. And thanks again. Tiffany Colter, Coordinator, The Master Seminars.

    ReplyDelete