Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursday Reviews, Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott

Today I want to review one of my favorite writing books, Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird.

Unlike the other books I’ve reviewed so far, it’s not a book on the craft of writing. At least not in the sense of writing do’s and don’ts. It is inspirational. I found her honesty incredibly freeing. She shares the joys and pitfalls common to all writers. She reminds us that, while writing is a solitary pursuit, we are not alone.

My favorite chapter of the book is Sh***y First Drafts. I know the language is strong, but it got my attention. She gave me the permission I needed to write first, edit later. I realized it was perfectly fine to write the story or the article and come back a second or a third time to do the editing. I don’t know where I got the idea I had to be perfect. But in case you have the same struggle, she has a chapter on Perfectionism.

Where ever you are in your writing journey, I recommend you add Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird to your list of must-have’s. This book belongs on every writer’s reference shelf.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

5 comments:

  1. Edie, I loved this book, too! I always need inspiration AND craft! I'll be seeing you at the BRMCWC in May! I loved the examples in your last post and sent several other people here from my writing class (at the Y)who found your examples helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    Thank you so much for your encouragement! I look forward to seeing you in May, too. If y'all have any topics you'd like to see covered, please let me know.
    Blessings,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie~ thank you for the reminder. I love this book, too. It is sitting on my bookshelf at arm's length from my desk.

    Anne Lamott afforded me that permission, as well, to write from the heart and not to worry about first drafts being perfect.

    I really enjoy your Blog, Edie. You're a natural teacher! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edie, I'll have to pick up a copy of this book soon! Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm sure I'll be reading the Perfectionist chapter first.
    Looking forward to seeing you in May!

    ReplyDelete